As If Principle
The “As If” principle is one of the simplest forms of self hypnosis or positive hypnosis that is based on the premise that we can create outer circumstances by simply acting “as if” these circumstances are already real or existing. It is the process of acting “as if” you want to do something albeit you may not actually feel like you are doing it.
According to Victorian philosopher William James, our feelings do not necessarily guide our actions. It’s not like when we feel happy, we will laugh. The truth is, it is our actions that guide our emotions. When we laugh, we also tend to feel happy. These assumptions led James to conclude that if we want a certain quality, we should act as if we already have it. Whether it is about achieving our dream self, persevering through a tough situation, or quitting a bad habit, we can always rely on the “as if” principle to help us.
How To Use The “As If” Principle
There are many ways that we can use the “As If” principle. Use it as a motivation building trick which can help you in pretending that you enjoy doing something thereby actually creating the positive feelings of doing it. All of these may sound too good to be true so you should act As if you believe in such principle and try it out for yourself.
Here are just some of the ways that we can use the “as if” principle.
1. We can use it in rituals wherein we act as if we already have a certain quality that we wanted to have.
2. We can use it when we do some role-playing. This can be applied in fun activities such as children’s games, fantasy games, real life situations and more. Here, we play the role of our new self. We participate fully in this new character that we created.
3. We can use it to acquire the skills that are needed to portray a new character. We can act as if we are a confident person in a public-speaking class. We can act as if we are knowledgeable with fine wines, sports, etc.
4. We can use it to change our speech.
5. We can use it to change our personal physical environment.
6. We can use it to select a different environment when we decide to leave our personal physical environment.
7. We can use it to perform new behaviors.
8. We can use it to change our physical appearance.